A bitter Californian consumed by hatred towards the U.S. government and conspiracy theories about the 9/11 terrorism attacks and other perceived government coverups opened fire on Pentagon police Thursday night, wounding two before officers cut him down in a fusillade of gunfire.
John Patrick Bedell hated the government and the American military and was convinced the government, not terrorists, destroyed the World Trade Center twin towers in New York and faked the attack on the Pentagon in Washington.
Pentagon police chief Richard Keevill said Bedell walked up to police officers at the entrance to the Metro subway station at the headquarters of America’s military and opened fire.
“He just reached into his pocket, pulled out a gun and started shooting,” Keevill told reporters. A”He walked up very cool. He had no real emotion on his face.”
Bedell’s shots grazed two Pentagon officers, who returned fire with automatic weapons, striking the shooter multiple times. Bedell was pronounced dead at a Washington area hospital.
Internet postings by Bedell show he was consumed with conspiracy theories about the 9/11 terrorist attacks in Washington and New York and believed the government killed a Marine in California in 1991 to cover up its involvement in illegal actions.
The Marine, Col. James Sabow, was found dead in the backyard of his home. His death, ruled a suicide, has been a centerpiece for many conspiracy theories surrounding government coverups.
- Shooting suspect may have had 9/11 conspiracy (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Officers Hurt, Gunman Killed in Pentagon Shooting (abcnews.go.com)
- Pentagon Shooter Dead; He Vented Online About 9/11 (newser.com)
- Pentagon Subway Shooting Wounds Two Police Officers (Update1) (businessweek.com)
- In Video, Audio and Writing, Pentagon Shooter Left Bizarre Internet Trail [Pentagon Shooting] (gawker.com)