The Gestapo is alive and well in the American government

By DOUG THOMPSON - Capitol Hill Blue
June 10, 2013

Sadly, this should be America's flag now

Sadly, this should be America’s flag now

It’s official:  America today is no better than Nazi Germany.  It’s no different than Soviet Russia was during the height of communism.  The so-called land of the free and home of the brave is now the nation of spied upon where the government collects private data on any an all Americans under the guise of fighting terrorism.

How did this happen?  With a despotic piece of legislation called the USA Patriot Act, a rights-robbing law passed in the aftermath of 9/11.  Most of the shell-shocked members of Congress voted for the Patriot Act without reading the law.  The few who did voted against it but those who actually knew what the law did to the freedoms of our nation were few and far between.

Created by a bible-thumping, over-reactionary Attorney General John Ashcroft, with the help of other questionable Republicans like James Sesenbrenner, the Patriot Act treated everybody as a “person of interest” and opened the floodgates for government intrusion into the lives of ordinary citizens who have nothing to do with terrorism and imposed no threats to our nation.

The Patriot Act allowed U.S. citizens to be arrested and held without safeguards to our freedoms and even permitted them to be shipped overseas to nations that practiced torture in interrogation.

The law allowed President George W. Bush to free American agents to snoop into private lives without court orders, to obtain information on millions without safeguards to privacy and turned the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Homeland Security Agency into Gestapo-like organizations.

Barack Obama campaigned against the abuses of the Patriot Act but — once President — he actually increased the abuses of the law and, under his watch, the power of the National Security Agency and other government abusers of power and personal privacy.

The NSA now has data on every phone call made by customer of Verizon Wireless and other mobile phone carriers.  Member of Facebook?  Now everything you’ve posted is in the data banks of the NSA center in Maryland.

The government, under the abusive powers of another rights-robbing program called the Total Information Awareness system, looks at the financial and travel records of all Americans — not just foreign citizens suspected of terrorism.  Congress thought it killed the TIA but Bush just allowed it to be moved into the secretive area of Pentagon “black bag” operations.  They also changed the name but the abuses continue.

The invasion of privacy is not limited to Republicans or Democrats. The abuses started under Bush but expanded under Obama and now the administration in power is doing what it does best — lying through its teeth to try and justify widespread abuse of power and ignorance of freedoms that used to be sacred in America.

Welcome to Nazi America, land of the oppressed and home of the cowards.

___

Copyright  © 2013 Capitol Hill Blue

18 Responses to The Gestapo is alive and well in the American government

1. Carl Nemo **==

June 10, 2013 at 6:39 am

Well expressed Mr. Thompson. All that can be added is that seemingly no one cares as long as they have access to endless, inane, HDTV programming along with their imagined ‘right’ to shop until they drop. America has become a mere ‘feedlot’ of bovine intellects seeking endless gratification of the flesh.

“We the People” have ended up with a government we seemingly sorely deserve. If we put as much energy into fighting for our ‘gun rights’ as to protecting the privacy of our persons and papers as guaranteed by the 4th Amendment then possibly the situation could be changed.

They won’t wake up until things degenerate to a “nacht und nebel” (night and fog) experience with them and/or their neighbors rounded up in the dead of night never to be seen again. Only this time there won’t be any rescue from such a pogram with a unified effort to stop such. Darkness shall settle over the world as corporatist/fascist businessmen via their solely owned media and government sponsored control functions turn the world into simply a ‘plantation planet’ with abject, fearful labor slaves toiling to survive and hopefully not to end up in the belly of the beast.

*****

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out–
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out–
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out–
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.

Martin Niemöller 1892-1964 German anti-Nazi pacifist
    *****

2. Joe Keegan

June 10, 2013 at 7:07 am

The Patriot Act(s)just legalized what “they” had been doing all along. Doug, you’re wrong about it being no better than Nazi Germany. The resulting US surveillance state is considerably better.It’s also more efficient than the former Soviet Union’s. The Germans may have lost WWII, but the Nazis won.

3. Bill Cravener

June 10, 2013 at 7:38 am

Though I can agree with much of your rant Doug, I find it offensive when you make the claim that we are no different then the Nazis’. I have Jewish friends that I am certain would also disagree with you. And yet the hatred I see towards Mexicans that come to this country to take jobs Americans refuse to do comes close to what the Nazis’ thought of the Jews.

Perhaps your latest cycle accident did indeed effect your mind.

• Carl Nemo **==

June 10, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Hi Bill…

“I have Jewish friends that I am certain would also disagree with you.” …extract from post

Generally the focus of Nazi sponsored concentration camps was on the “holocaust” relative to the “Jewish Question?” as Nazi propagandists referred to the ‘problem’.

Many folks don’t realize that Protestant ministers, Catholic priests, nuns, gypsies, gays or anyone deemed an undesirable as a function of Nazi standards for ‘purity’ ended up in the work/death camps. Even some of our POW’s both U.S. and allied were sent to the death camps rather than to military facilities designated for such internment.

When an elitist leadership such as we have now in place decides to utilize the NSA et al. intel and enforcement agencies to roundup ‘designates’, you can be asssured they will do so. To trivilize the possibilites of this happening could be deadly to you and your family’s well-being in time. Believe it!

I thought I’d copy the quote that you hold while sitting on your chopper. You need to countenance a time when your government decides not to wish Bill Cravener well then targets him for either roundup or sanction…no? : |

*****

“A tough lesson in life that one has to learn is that not everybody wishes you well”…Bill Cravener

*****

• Bill Cravener

June 11, 2013 at 6:06 am

Your furtive attempt to interject won’t work with me Carl. As I stated I’m in full agreement with Doug except for the Nazi comparison. Anyone who believes that America is no better then Nazi Germany was during WWII needs to take up drinking again.

• Doug Thompson

June 11, 2013 at 6:39 am

Calm down Bill. You are welcome to your opinion but so are others. But if the death of my oldest daughter in April 1995 didn’t drive me back to the bottle, nothing you way will. As long as American rights are in peril this nation, given the intrusive rights of modern technology, is much more dangerous than Nazi Germany. I said the same thing when George W. Bush was President and the increases in abuses of the Constitution under Obama convinces me that the situation is worse, not better, today. I have many Jewish friends and two who work for this publication and they found nothing wrong with my comparison.

• Bill Cravener

June 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Come on Doug, I’ve been following you for many years and you are an over-reactionary. Not that anything is wrong with that, its what I like about you. And by the way, I am perfectly calm but I think you need to re-read the history of the Third Reich for chr*st sakes! I get annoyed by how easily some folks compare the US with a statement that “America is no different then the Nazis were”. That’s bulls—!

• Jon

June 11, 2013 at 7:36 am

“They Thought They Were Free, The Germans 1933-1945″ by Milton Mayer. Should be required reading for anyone invoking Godwin’s law.

J.

• Doug Thompson

June 11, 2013 at 7:41 am

I disagree and our spam filter flagged you for obscenity. Strong language for someone who claims to be calm :)

• Bill Cravener

June 11, 2013 at 7:51 am

I disagree….

I was certain you would friend. ;)

4. Wayne K Dolik

June 10, 2013 at 10:19 am

WMR has learned from a knowlegable National Security Agency (NSA) source that agency employees are using various NSA data mining and surveillance systems, including PRISM meta-data and phone call transcripts, to snoop on their wives and ex-spouses. In addition, some NSA employees have offered to sell such information to individuals outside of NSA who want the goods on their wives and ex-spouses.

In one case, NSA surveillance data was used to track down the contact information and location data for an NSA official’s daughter. A Maryland court-issued restraining order prevented the NSA official from having any contact with his daughter.

The trafficking in NSA surveillance data for personal use and gain is known to NSA officials but they have made no move to curtail the abuses, according to our sources. In fact, wives and ex-spouses who have complained to NSA about problems resulting from the release of their personal data have been met with harassment from NSA’s internal security force, known as the “Q Group.” In one case, the husband of an ex-wife of an NSA official experienced credit problems after his personal data was obtained by the NSA official who used it to create credit problems for the harassment target.

from http://www.waynemadsenreport.com

5. woody188

June 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

This is the same government telling us to “just trust them” and keep trying to take our freedoms claiming it’s to protect us from terrorism.

If they claim you are a terrorist and assassinate you, would anyone stand up and defend your honor postmortem?

It’s entirely possible this has happened. They have assassinated teenagers, women, and children.

6. griff6r

June 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

Of course those of us concerned with our government doing these kinds of things were labeled over-reacting, paranoid conspiracy theorists.

When Bush was president we were told that if we have nothing to hide, we have nothing to woory about.

That was never the point.

• woody188

June 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve noticed that too. Back in 2006 when we brought these things up we were told it was no big deal, that we were over-reacting, that we were just tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy freaks, and that there was no way 1.4 million people with top secret clearances could keep something like this secret.

I try not to gloat because we certainly would have rather been proven wrong. The deniers should probably re-evaluate what they thought to be true, but I doubt they will.

It’s very hard for the brain washed to shrug off beliefs they have been told were true since birth. It takes a strong mind and strong will to seek the truth in the face of so much propaganda. This automatically excludes most Americans who wouldn’t be bothered or care what is done so long as electricity is on and grocery stores are stocked.

7. Gregg

June 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

The NSA announced this morning that despite the cat being let out of the bag it’s not going to alter its spy programs.

That wasn’t earth shaking news. In fact, I expected the government’s reaction to public mumbling about all of the rights and privacy issues rearing their ugly heads, to be very calm, cool, and collected.

The world is way different that it was during the cold war days with Russia and other communist nations.

War fronts have begun to shift from ground to digital.

When you look at the current lukewarm reaction about the domestic spy games by the citizens – we get a very hard look at the growing, evolving common apathy that is displayed regarding a lot of government’s behaviors over the past 235 years.

Let’s face it. We aren’t going to see insurrection by the citizens suddenly break out. The government knows it.

And once again we get to revisit the old saying, “If there are no consequences for inappropriate behaviors then why stop.”

I think the government really isn’t concerned about public opinion or fear that there will ever be true consequences for its behaviors…good, bad, or evil.

We have seen party sacrificial lambs come and go in elected seats in government. These repeated gains and losses by political machines are expected and calculated, but their missions stay on track.

Like a Las Vegas Casino owner know exactly how much it will take in at the end of each business year at each and every gambling station…so do political parties know how they can ultimately implement even the most intrusive, invasive policies and laws without consequence.

How many times have we heard from government that they do what they do to protect our security? All we, as citizens, have to do is trust that everything that governments say and does is in the best interests of our nation. In other words, we do as they say, not as they do. We unconditionally accept laws and public policies they create. And we shouldn’t question their integrity or motives for their behaviors.

When governments, corporations, or even powerful individuals create a shield around them via out system of laws, which makes the above the law. Can we expect them to actually live within the law?

I don’t think so.

After 235 years of public brainwashing about the greatness of our country’s system of government…its paying off…big time.

8. CA Leeson

June 11, 2013 at 6:54 pm

doug, this kind of (stuff) has to stop. All of this goes back to GWB and the people responsible for 9/11.

9. Sandy Price

June 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

I remember 9/11 clearly and the reason given for the Patriot’s Act. I recall the reaction of Reader Rant on the whole reaction of our situation. In my memory, CHB reacted sanely and within reason. We were told to calm down some of our own reactions that were formed by a number of researchers that clearly put the White House in a position of questioning their involvement. I sent many orders to Amazon for their books opening up the argument on several sides of who to blame.

I read all of the books in my search for what went wrong in our own American information faulty lack of preparedness. I was called on the carpet for my efforts. I learned that Americans demand a simple explanation for our ignoring our warning signs. I suggested that those who found my words insulting should do the research and explain to me what went wrong in our white house protection agencies.

The reaction I received here and by emails showed me how involved our government was in protecting its own ass. I had warned on my own web sight that our white house was planning a movement that would develop a one world form of government based on American leadership under a Christian agenda. Books were flying off the charts claiming this new world order would free all humans from a secular plan to destroy liberal freedom lovers. White supremacy became the great unmentioned plan.

We only have to read the words of the Rand Paul Tea Party to see their plans in detail.

There is no legitimate argument against the simple-minded plans that took such loss in the last elections.

There should have been a huge uprising after the Patriot’s Bill was accepted. The American people were silent except in print. There was no room on the forums for truth because it was necessary for people to read the mass of books on the subject of freedom.

I began my morning search for other readers and came up with Don Imus who did some of the best book reviews found anywhere. He got busted and MSNBC replaced him with “Morning Joe” who manages to bring the good writers who have to fight through the TV garbage to get their books reviewed.

Americans are too lazy to stay focused on much and many cannot follow the train of interest between commercials.

I have a very small group of readers whose opinions I need for my own information sources. They are my own children who were raised with a boobtube blasting in the back ground.

10. beachshoe

June 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Guys, any rookie detective knows ‘just follow the money’.