Conspiracy theorists now think we’re part of some grand plot

032213conspiracyGod help us.  It’s bad enough that we here at Capitol Hill Blue have to put up with the conspiracy theorists who see some nefarious  plot in just about everything.

Now they see such plots in what is written here.

At least that’s suggested by a comment posted to our previous column that expressed a desire to see a new crop of leaders who put political affiliations, philosophical leanings and partisan agendas away so they can concentrate solely on what is best for America.

According to this poster — and repeated on a couple of rabid right-wing web sites — such a suggestion is part of my or someone else’s hidden agenda to hasten the decline of America.

I’ve got a message for that poster and anyone else who even has the gall to suggest such a thing.

You are not only sadly misinformed, you also delusional.  Plots?  We don’t need no stinkin’ plots.  Our intentions are always pretty obvious.

Frankly, I’m amazed that anyone could claim a hidden agenda in a simple attempt to try and encourage a government that puts politics and partisanship aside and moves the best needs of America to the front.

Like many Americans, I’m sick of the partisan cesspool that now dominates American government and politics.  I’m dismayed at the n0-compromise “my way or the the highway” mode that dominates political rhetoric on both sides of the debates.

American government works best with opposing sides find moderate ground for agreement and seek resolution through compromise.

Such is system is far from perfect but it has worked for well over 200 years and could work for another 200 if the disagreeing whiners could put aside their petty, and most often pointless, extremism and seek resolution in the middle.

Impossible?  Not really.  When I went to Washington in 1981 as a Congressional staffer, few politicians were further apartment politically than new President Ronald Reagan and then Speaker of the House Tip O’Neill.  Yet they found a way to work together and fashion a budget with tax cuts that paved the way to better economic times.

If President Barack Obama and now Speaker John Boehner want to learn to work together they might do well to study the actions of Regan and O’Neill.  The process was helped because then Republican minority leader Rep. Bob Michel of Illinois also believed in working towards the middle with compromise.

That was then, this is now.  Now, compromise is a dirty word and extremism from both the right and the left is standard operating procedure.

Moderation and cooperation are dirty words missing from the political vocabulary of Washington.

And when someone like us suggests a return to the days of working together through coalitions that put America first, we get painted with a “conspiracy” paint brush.

Advice to the conspiracy theorists who see a plot under every rock or around every corner:  Peddle those fantasies elsewhere.  They don’t fly here.

___

Copyright 2013 Capitol Hill Blue

(Edited to expand the thought and reduce the stridency.  My apology to readers.  When I get called a participant in a conspiracy I get pissed.)

23 Responses to "Conspiracy theorists now think we’re part of some grand plot"

1. Bill Cravener  March 22, 2013 at 6:13 am

Doug, I believe I know to whom you refer. I posted a response to him in your last opinion piece only because he is requesting responses back. Perhaps I should have said nothing. It’s just that I have trouble understanding where some folks are coming from. If you feel it best to do so simply delete my last post to him.

• Doug Thompson  March 22, 2013 at 6:44 am

Bill:

I thought your response was appropriate. Let’s leave it up and thank you.

I don’t have a problem with different opinions but when someone accuses me of being part of some “grand conspiracy” or of having any “hidden agendas,” it is insulting and something that I will not allow.

2. Sandy Price  March 22, 2013 at 10:40 am

I am guilty as anyone who writes and responds to CHB.

My intense interest and love for American values has driven me half mad in many years of having opinions brought on by my extensive reading behind every action in D.C. that did not smell right.

I will always appreciate your opinions even when I do not share them. I seldom read Reader Rant because much of their opinions are based on their hatred of wealth. I base their opinions on their lack of having to deal with people of wealth. There are many University classes who deal with many Americans who do not react with people of great fame and wealth. One professor claims that the internet was for loners who react to celebrities who make wealth and fame look easy. Their favorite subject is slamming Ayn Rand. They react to her without a care of where her leadership skills come from.

Politically one can find people who see only a desire for America to be as the Tea Party describes. i.e., God and Guns. I call it too much O’Reilly and Limbaugh. Even Palin makes sense to those folks.

Sadly, there is little time left for the other side of the coin. I’m patient and will wait for the truth of which side faces reality. I have history reading behind me and have actually read the words of Madison, Jefferson and even Adams.

I do not come to my opinions quickly. Before I wrote a single word about 911, I had 14 books on the subject of America in the Middle East under my expanding belt. I sit back and chuckle at the exposure that is being shown in only 10 years.

I tried very hard to expose the hellish base of the LDS church and had some books to prove my fears.

Nobody cares Doug. America is a place to support Americans. It is our duty to respect our leaders even when they act like the 43rd President.

• Doug Thompson  March 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Sandy:

The column was not directed at you. You didn’t accuse me of being part of some grand conspiracy.

• Sandy Price  March 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

I walk around with a guilty feeling based on the fact that so many people dislike my words on many subjects. In my world, the greatest conspiracy forced on Americans come from organized religion.

Too many people cannot accept the concept of liberty. I got deeply involved in the Birch Society and saw my own family trade American values for the fear of hell and damnation.

We are seeing the fight against gay equality based on some mention from the old testament. The assumption that all Americans believe in God is dangerously damaging. Trying to bring Christian laws into our Constitution is ridiculous. Today’s religious right have little respect for minorities and are the first organized group to use labels against far too many Citizens.

I flipped through several of Dr. Michael Cremo’s text books on early man and how their Gods directed their lives. This attitude nearly destroyed Europe during the Inquisition and the Tea Party has torn families apart. I seriously doubt we will ever return to blood letting but the damage done by the Republicans to all Women and Gays was just as frightening.

I love your commentaries and am delighted you are back and in good form.

3. Jon  March 22, 2013 at 11:45 am

Personally I blame it on the Illuminati operating out of Opus Dei’s secret base on the dark side of the moon taking orders from Hitler’s disembodied brain to beam mind-control rays at anyone who isn’t a scientologist.

Sometimes you have to laugh at them.

J.

4. Almandine  March 23, 2013 at 9:34 am

Perhaps there is elaboration somewhere else that deserves to be considered in the context of this and the previous piece on doing without ideology and political parties in America, but with respect to DT or CHB opinions on those in power, all I can find in the referenced reply to that article is: “I know Doug prefers to think all this is coincidence and those in charge are complete morons.” While the next sentence in that paragraph (in keeping with the author’s thesis) should have been placed before the assessment of Doug’s opinion, I don’t think it was pointed at Doug.

Too many times we write things without checking our prose for proper grammatical structure and come away appearing to say something other than we mean.

• Doug Thompson  March 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I suppose it is possible that this line — “I tend to believe this is being done on purpose to hasten our decline and usher in a new era of global governance that can’t exist so long as the USA is the light of freedom unto the world” — was not directed at me but I thing it was when combined with the opening sentence: “I found it ironic this was posted during the President’s trip to Israel.” The inclusion of both observations in the comment points the conspiratorial blame at the author of the column: me.

I don’t mind criticism and comments that disagree with me are posted here all the time. But I do find it particularly offensive when it is suggested that I am part of a conspiracy aimed at hurting America and it is especially so when one considers my very public, very strident and unchanging position against most conspiracy theories.

If the author of comment did not intend it that way, he should have clarified himself in a comment to the column I wrote. He hasn’t said a word. Silence usually suggests agreement with my conclusions. I did water my response down after I calmed down and will apologize if I misread his intention but it’s hard to say I did since he is unusually silent now that I have called him out.

• Almandine  March 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Yeah, could be, but since his entire rant was directed at political parties – and didn’t even include the MSM – I think he just let his thinking get ahead of his keyboard. Guess, we’ll see.

• Doug Thompson  March 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Could be. My wife says me I’m more emotional and sensitive to things since my brush with death last November. Of course, I’m also 65 now and you know what old age does to a person. :(

• Almandine  March 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hold on… we 65′ers got a long way to go !

(Cows aside.)

5. SRL  March 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Wait, there’s a left in the US? Where might it be found? The rest of the world would call it center-right.

6. woody188  March 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

Geez, I take a break for a week and all hell breaks loose. I was in the middle of writing a response when I realized, I really don’t care anymore. I’ve nothing to prove to anyone. I only asked for opinions, which we all have. I thought that was the gist of Doug’s piece. I’m sorry my lack of writing ability caused so much stress.

• bryan mcclellan  March 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

I find that everyone is suffering from thin skin syndrome these days Woody as it’s clearly a sign of things to come in our new found universe of uncertainty.
      We as a nation have been taught to fear the invisible straw-man news salted with the false reality that the Republic is strong, will defend us, and is still true to her mandate.
      In a sense our nation has become nothing more than a conspiracy like the house built on sand. Defend against that..

• Doug Thompson  March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Woody, you’ve been around here long enough to know that some things hit a nerve with me and accusing me of being part of some grand anti-American conspiracy is at the top of the list. God knows I’m in an emotional roller-coaster these days after months of extensive therapy for broken bones, facial disfigurement and brain damage. Was it simply an exercise of fun on your point to test the tolerance of a physical and emotional cripple? If so, I guess the laugh’s on me. I wrote that column as an honest exercise in trying to get to the heart of the emotional turmoil that grips this nation. To have it dismissed as part of some meaningless conspiracy theory hurt.

I’m sorry folks. It looks like I overreacted. Maybe I need to reassess my attempt to return to writing now or in the future.

• woody188  March 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

It was not my intention. I was trying to point out how we differed in our reasoning in the forces driving changes in our nation.

The sad part is, we can’t even agree on whether members of our government and business community are meeting in secret and whether that has an impact on us. Ok, well we know they are meeting in secret, which they claim is a benign activity. So why is it secret if it’s so harmless?

How could we ever agree on any issue when we live in such different realities?

• woody188  March 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

And don’t stop Doug. You bring up good points. And nothing will help you more than getting back on that horse. Don’t worry about me. I work in quality control so I’m used to being in the odd man out and sticking to what I know is true.

• Bill Cravener  March 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I disagree Doug, I for one do not wish to see you give up on your often powerful opinions. I’ve been a reader here for many years now and you owe no one an apology. I’ve read many of woody188’s comments over the years and from my point of view they are sometimes way over the top. For anyone to imply that there is some grand conspiracy to bring down America by our politicians (with your help by some ironic circumstance) is frankly absurd to say the least!

I come here to get the news about Washington and of it all it’s your opinion pieces that I value the most.

• woody188  March 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm

If those who speak truth cannot be bought off or shut up, they are ignored or demonized. Almost everything Americans need to know is off limits in public discussion. Anyone who broaches the truth becomes an “anti-American,” a “terrorist sympathizer,” a “commie-socialist,” a “conspiracy theorist,” an “anti-semite,” a “kook,” or some other name designed to scare Americans away from the message of truth. Paul Craig Roberts

Just a quote from one of my heroes. I don’t expect most Americans to understand my point of view. In fact, I expect only a very few to get it. That’s all right.

There was a time, early in the new millennium, I felt I could change the course of events just by spreading knowledge. How silly that seems to me today. Each must come to their own conclusions, right and wrong. I just hope I helped some and let them know they are not alone.

• Almandine  March 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm

As always, “the only thing required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing (Burke)”… and you’re only a “theorist” until the reality sets in.

Way too many bizarre realities exist today for it all to be coincidence or mere windmills to tilt at. Meaningless theory?
            If so, I too would like a real explanation for all the weird stuff being done in DC that can’t be explained logically.

• Doug Thompson  March 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm

For the record, I don’t disagree that the government sometimes meets in secret and plans things out covertly. In case anyone here has forgotten — and I haven’t, despite brain damage — I worked for both Congress and the White House during my foray into the dark side in Washington. I have accused the government of conspiracies in the past and probably will do so in the future.

I just don’t happen to share some of the outlandish and off-the-wall theories posted on this web site by readers or published elsewhere on the ‘Net. Maybe it’s because I have been inside the system and have some idea of how it really operates and that allows me to separate fact from fiction and realize when something happens from a conspiratorial plot or — more often — from stupidity within in our government.

But I say again, anyone who accuses me of being part of a conspiracy to harm this country is both wrong and a fool. Long time readers should know that. The fact that at least one does not disturbs me.

No one here — me included — has a valid claim on infinite wisdom or divine prophecy. My column is opinion. So are the comments: Nothing more, nothing less.

Whether or not I choose to continue here is an open question at the moment. My experiences in recent months have left me with different perspectives on what is and is not important. We shall see.

7. Sandy Price  March 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

65? Hell, I’ve shoes I bought 65 years ago. Hitting the big 80 has made me aware of my selective memory especially when dealing with American politics. I worked at home for income after my family split up but when my girls went off to college I got out into the world of corporations and politics.

I ran into a terrible group meeting that came with a group called “Gun Owners of America” and it turned into a Christian Revival of the most hateful discussions of why America must rid our people of many Churches. I wrote about this years ago and it set me off with a fear of many organized churches.

My work with Bach’s string quartets performing in many small churches in California certainly did not reflect my fear of any God. I ended up on the Board of directors of the Chamber Music organization in Phoenix and worked very hard to promote my strange taste in music. Another board member read my web site and immediately asked for my resignation on the board. I had put on some very successful fund raisers using my background in Opera and orchestral music. It got ugly and I moved back to California. My culture has been set aside and even my politics has been replaced by something more modern. No loss.

8. Jon  March 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm

It’s a bit late, but I’ll throw in another bone here:

There are those who conspire, and those who seek to wreck, but they do so primarily motivated by their own personal profit, and wrecking things along the way is incidental to their goal.

From the thug who breaks a car window to steal a handful of change to the CEO who slashes R&D spending so the stock bounce gives him a bonus, there are people out there, and they do collaborate, who do much damage for a relatively small personal profit.

Give me a conspiracy theory where the proponents make a fortune and a half, and I’ll listen. Give me one where Doug Thompson runs a small-time website and occasionally photographs high-school sports, and, well, um… That’s what we have here. Openly.

The only thing I can accuse our esteemed Publisher of is (although he took awhile to come back around) journalism.

Jon