Romney emerges unscathed from first New Hampshire debate

By SUSAN WALKER
Capitol Hill Blue Political Writer
January 8, 2012

Mitt Romney at New Hampshire debate (ABC News)

If the challengers for the Republican nomination for President hoped to derail the Mitt Romney express at the first of two debates before next Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary they got switched to a siding.

Romney, leading all polls by a comfortable margin in the Granite State, sailed through the debate on cruise control, looking comfortable while his challengers spent as much time attacking each other as him.

A panel of New Hampshire voters assembled by Capitol Hill Blue agreed, for the most part, that Romney emerged a clear winner from the debate.

“He appeared Presidential,” said Andrea Wilson. “The others looked more like rowdy children.”

The debate’s best fireworks came between Ron Paul and Newt Ginrich after Paul went after the former Speaker of the House’s failure to serve in the military.

Paul, who thinks America should get out of the war business, called Gingrich a “chickenhawk” for evading military service during the Vietnam war.

That pissed off Gingrich, who retaliated:

Dr. Paul has a long history of saying things that are inaccurate and false. The fact is, I never asked for deferment. I was married with a child. It was never a question. My father was, in fact, serving in Vietnam in the Mekong Delta at the time he’s referring to. I think I have a pretty good idea of what it’s like as a family to worry about your father getting killed. And I personally resent the kind of comments and aspersions he routinely makes without accurate information and then just slurs people with.

Paul shot back that he also had children but “I went.”

The candidates sidestepped an attempt by to bring up gay marriage.

A second debate is scheduled for Sunday morning.

10 Responses to Romney emerges unscathed from first New Hampshire debate

1. Sandune

January 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

Considering the competition (which was weak) Gov. Romney held his lead. They all are allowing their religion to guide their agenda which is redundant. The obsession with sex is ridiculous but they are pandering to the religious right which is the worst group to buy. The question about birth control had a strange affect on me, as I immediately headed back to the football game. I didn’t win that one either.

• Jon

January 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

I saw a book review on the NYT and thought of you, Sandune. It might not be of general interest, but here you go:

Jon

• Sandune

January 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Jon, I ordered a book very similar to the one you wrote about. “The Reactionary Mind” described the rise of thr Conservative movement also publishedf by Oxford Press.

They all seem to have their agenda of division rather than any plan for equality. Thre Candidates in the last two debates managed to tear themselves apart leaving an open election to Obama.

2. Sandune

January 8, 2012 at 10:28 am

The debate on NBC at this time may be the best dialog in the television programs so far. Meet the Press turned over their program an hour early and brought the contestants in for some damn good questions and answers. I still wouldn’t vote for anyone on the stage based on the new improved agenda of the GOP. Interesting watch! Go to it!

3. Carl Nemo **==

January 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

“He [appeared] Presidential,” said Andrea Wilson. …extract from article my brackets

So did Obama on the campaign trail… / : |

4. Almandine

January 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

The message we should be understanding – insofar as this site is concerned – is that CHB has shown us its choice for the GOP nomination.

• woody188

January 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I believe that is more CHB’s switch to AP versus McClatchy feeds. AP certainly wants Romney hands down. The writing was better when it was from the McClatchy feeds. I sure miss Doug’s rants!

I’ve had the same perceptions myself but Doug says it ain’t so and I want to believe him. Pulling from the AP wire is the only thing I can think of to explain it.

• Doug Thompson

January 10, 2012 at 12:59 am

Say what? We don’t use anybody’s feeds. As my lawyer would say, you’re “assuming facts not in evidence.”

5. Sandune

January 8, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I disagree Al. As long as I have been around CHB and R.R. in particular there has never been a choice here. In fact I took a verbal beating from a Monitor on Reader Rant because I stood up for a GOP point of view and I was told that R.R. is a place for a Democratic point of view.

When I wrote for the Home page, I did write as a Republican Capitalist and was run off. There is no point of view from the management. I’ve never known Doug to ever be anything but equal in that he rides on every-one’s arse.

What we are seeing at this time is an agenda of little value on either side. It frustrates everyone.

6. frank verismo

January 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hey, Sandy –

Interesting. Doesn’t sound very democratic to me!

Yup – it’s what attracted me to CHB in the first place.

A choice of masks to stick on the ugly mug of Mammon – the classic false dialectic.
    Some five years ago I decided I no longer wanted to play the banking/usury game,, so I tore up my credit card and terminated my overdraft facility. Ever since, I’ve lived only on my own money, borrowing nothing from the banks. It makes for a bumpy ride at times, but the satisfaction of knowing I’m no longer at the table, playing the game and getting fleeced by the casino owners is priceless.

The political system is much the same: it only functions if we continue to buy into it. I’m undecided whether our host’s position is based on genuine conviction, or simple business realism. But that’s Doug’s business and I’m happy for it to remain a mystery. I’ve never been censored on this site, and that fact alone makes it worth defending.