Cain has long history of sexual harassment

By DOUG THOMPSON
November 1, 2011

Herman Cain: Who, me?

GOP Presidential contender Herman Cain has a long and sordid history of sexually-harassing women — a record that began well before his tenure as president of the National Restaurant Association and one that continued long after he left.

“He’s a lecherous man who sees women as sexual objects,” one former staff member of the restaurant trade group tells Capitol Hill Blue.  “He preys on women.”

Cain, under fire after Politico uncovered sexual harassment complaints against Cain, backtracked Monday and admitted that he “recalled” at least one financial settlement with a female employee of the restaurant association during his tenure as president in the 1990s.  Legal records show at least two such settlements while Cain served as president of the trade association.

“He was always making suggestive comments or brushing up against women,” says the former employee, who asked not to be identified.  “He’s a dirty old man.”

Capitol Hill Blue has also talked with former former employees of Godfathers Pizza, Cain’s food chain where he served as CEO, who said he “came on to women all the time.”

“You did not want to be alone in a room with him,” says one former female employee.

Faced with the accusations, Cain has shifted from stonewalling to denial to admission.  On Sunday, he refused to answer a question from a reporter on whether or not he had ever been charged with sexual harassment by firing back: “Have you ever been charged with sexual harassment?”  Then he said he didn’t “remember” any settlement with female employees.

Then the story shifted again.  On PBS Monday, Cain said:

I was aware that an agreement was reached. The word ‘settlement’ versus the word ‘agreement’ you know, I’m not sure what they called it. I know that there was some sort of agreement, but because it ended up being minimal, they didn’t have to bring it to me. My general counsel and the head of human resources had the authority to resolve this thing.

Later, on Fox News, he claimed the “agreement” was part of a “termination” of an employee of the group.

Settlement, agreement or whatever, Cain’s behavior around women has long been questionable but the businessman has had the resources and legal talent around him to keep his actions quiet.

A number of female employees left Godfathers Pizza with large “severance packages” after they signed non-disclosure agreements to not discuss his behavior and female employees have come and gone from the Cain campaign after encounters with the candidate.

“He’s a sexual predator,” says one former campaign staffer. “Herman Cain is a dangerous man.”

13 Responses to Cain has long history of sexual harassment

1. Marge

November 1, 2011 at 5:51 am

Even our President has gotten frisky with the women; it’s crazy!

2. Pat

November 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Come on!! There is no comparison between calling a female “sweety” and actual sexual harrassment. Sexual Harrassment is a continued behavior that is engaged in even after being told that it is objectionable. For these ladies to file a complaint and be given settlements, there must have been grounds.

3. Sandune

November 1, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wow Chief. What an article! Where were you during the JFK election? The difference between then and now, is that the White House had far more respect from the media than it does now. Now is has become “the dirtier, the better.” You are right in step.

4. woody188

November 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

Herman Cain on 10/31/11

“But here’s the one incident that I recall as the day has gone on. She was in my office one day, and I made a gesture saying, Oh — and I was standing close to her. And I made a gesture, You’re the same height as my wife, and brought my hand — didn’t touch her — up to my chin and said, You’re the same height of my wife because my wife comes up to my chin, my wife of 43 years”

Herman Cain on 10/30/11

“That was 12 years ago. So no, I don’t remember.”

Amazing how he finally remembered the charge and was able to recall specific details in just 24 hours. My spider sense is tingling. Someone isn’t being honest. Mr. Cain, it was a 5-figure settlement, so anywhere between $10,000 and $99,999. I don’t think organizations are in the habit of paying out settlements for commenting on someone’s height.

5. Carl Nemo **==

November 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm

He must have been nuts to think that this stuff wouldn’t have surfaced. When you run for high office you become intensely scrutinized. Obama’s birth certificate is an example an issue that’s still not settled among certain investigatory factions.

Cain’s campaign is finished…!

6. Sandune

November 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Carl, trying to locate a candidate who doesn’t use his money and power to gain access to the ladies would be impossible. They must realize that all they have to do is tear up in front of the cameras and beg for forgiveness. Cain was never my choice as his numbers did not work out. The more I’m around these religious right candidates, the better Clinton looks.

I hope Obama gets reelected with massive numbers that will set the GOP back to the old agenda of individual freedoms for everyone. It will take a severe kick in the ass to send the Christians back to their churches and out of our government. I have never voted for a Democrat but they are less offensive than anyone running as a member of the religious right. I can still write in Ron Paul.

7. woody188

November 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

WTF Mr. Cain?

Talk about bad timing with the sexual harassment thing going on. Check out the end of his latest campaign video, “He Carried Yellow Flowers”. Nice chicken honey! Oops!

• Carl Nemo **==

November 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

In Cain’s case he’d probaby have said ‘Nice chicken breasts honey!’…hopin’ to get her thinkin’ right, concernin’ his immediate needs…no? : ))

This commercial is mind bogglingly bad.

As I wrote earlier he’s finished…!

8. griff

November 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Hey, look at the bright side, at least he’s not going after little boys. Well, at least not that we know of…

• Carl Nemo **==

November 2, 2011 at 12:46 am

yet…? / : |

9. Almandine

November 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

How about something more than unsourced innuendo, unattributed rumors, and vague accusations?

He may be wholly unreputable, but where’s the beef?

• Carl Nemo **==

November 5, 2011 at 1:11 am

You know what Almandine…in these seeming end times for the Republic as a function of ‘politicians gone wild’, it’s kinda fun to paint them all with the same brush. It best demonstrates the expression…shoot’em all and let God sort’em out…no? : )

Good questions my friend in thought. Where’s the political ‘beef’ with the necessary acumen and a constructive, nation friendly drive to turnabout the USS America from its encounter with a financial iceberg field?

• woody188