Remember Michele Bachmann? She used to be a candidate for the Republican nomination for President.
No, she hasn’t dropped out of the race.
But she might as well do so because she has become less than an afterthought in a campaign season where political stars grab the spotlight and then fade faster than a cigarette smoke ring.
At the GOP debate in Orlando, Florida on Thursday, Fox News put Rick Perry and Mitt Romney side-by-side and directed most of the questions at the two men considered the front-runners in what is currently called a two-man race for the GOP nomination.
Nearby stood Ron Paul — third in most polls, second in some — and poised, some say, to step into the number two spot should Perry’s predicted fall from grace occur.
The only other candidate generating buzz right now if Utah Gov. Jon Hunstman.
After that…Michele Bachmann.
Bachmann’s last bit of political glory came in the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa. She never capitalized on that, fired her campaign manager and fell into political obscurity.
Game, set, match.
If anything, Bachmann’s rapid rise and even-more-rapid descent showcases just how surreal the political landscape has become in GOP circles.
Rick Perry became a frontrunner just by announcing but once voters got a chance to see him in action — or inaction based on recent debate performances — his star began to fall.
Sarah Palin continues to use her “will she or won’t she” temptress approach to the race as a fundraising gimmick but polls show she no longer has the star power or base to become a serious contender — assuming, of course, that she ever did.
Is there salvation waiting in the GOP wings.
If so, who and when?
If not, does it really matter?
- As Rick Perry heads for the political dumpster, Ron Paul stands ready (capitolhillblue.com)
- How the media controls who becomes the next president: “Ron Paul is unelectable?” (moanti.wordpress.com)
- Is Michele Bachmann’s campaign cratering? (csmonitor.com)
- Is Michele Bachmann Toast Now That Rick Perry Has Entered The Race? (queerty.com)
- Bachmann’s Irresponsible Remarks Have Consequences (theroot.com)
- Michele Bachmann Could Run Out Of Campaign Finances As Big GOP Donors Shy Away (inquisitr.com)