Embattled Rep. Anthony Weiner admitted Monday he tweeted a lewd photo of to a young woman and also admitted a number of what he called “inappropriate” exchanges with other women but the serial liar and pornographer said he has no intention of quitting his House seat.
The New York Democrat called his actions “a dumb thing” and admitted “lying about it,” said he never met the women he tormented with lewd correspondence and wasn’t even sure how old they were.
While Weiner said he plans to stay in Congress, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called for an immediate ethics committee investigation of Weiner’s actions.
Weiner claims his actions, which included Internet contact, emails and phone calls, “had nothing to do” with his job as a Congressman and claimed he had “never had sex” outside of his marriage.
But after admitting lying for days about the tweeted photo of his bulging manhood in a pair of underpants, why should anyone believe him.
The 46-year-old Weiner shed tears during is half hour press conference but the performance was not very convincing.
“I haven’t told the truth and have done things I deeply regret,” he said between tears. “I brought pain to people I care about.”
Weiner’s admission came as more and more women said they had received sexually explicit messages from him. One woman said she received more than 200 such messages from the Congressman married to an aide to Hillary Rodham Clinton.
- Rep. Weiner admits tweeting photo but won’t resign (marketwatch.com)
- Pelosi Calls for Investigation Into Weiner Actions (politicalwire.com)
- Weiner apologizes for lying, ‘terrible mistakes,’ refuses to resign (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Anthony Weiner Admits to Lewd Photos, Labels Actions a “Personal Failing” (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- ‘The picture was of me and I sent it’: U.S. congressman admits to Tweeting lewd photo (thestar.com)