A true indicator of just how desperate Republicans have become can be found in their fascination with Donald Trump.
Most political logic points to dismissal of Trump’s flirting with a run for the GOP Presidential nomination but logic took an extended leave of absence from American politics long ago and show no interest in returning.
So the party that once embraced Sarah Palin as its future is now taking a hard look at the flamboyant Trump, who appeals to the GOP’s deep-seeded racism with his unabashed embrace of the “birther” movement and his claims that he and only he has the business balls to fix what’s wrong with government.
Republicans have flirted with such candidates before. Ross Perot rose like a shining star and fell like a fuel-depleted rocket in the 1980s. As they face a serious lack of real candidates for President in 2012, GOP activists appear willing to consider Trump.
Like Palin, Trump is a publicity hound who will do just about anything for public exposure. His constant hammering on the phony issue of President Barack Obama‘s citizenship appeals to the lunatic fringe that has far too much influence in the party of the elephant and his flamboyance is just the kind of flash without substance that appeals to many Republicans.
“I hear more and more people talking about Donald Trump,” York County South Carolina Republican Chairman Glenn McCall tells The Associated Press. “He’s got people fired up.”
Polls among likely Republican voters show Trump near the top or even leading in some areas of the country.
Trump’s popularity may be due to his potential opponent, including the geographically-challenged Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. Some say former pizza king Herman Cain is a contender.
Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a long election season.
- Want To Re-Elect Barack Obama? Support Donald Trump (outsidethebeltway.com)
- GOP insiders embrace Trump’s presidential bid – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- Charles Krauthammer On Donald Trump: ‘The Vulgarity Of Him Is Offensive’ (mediaite.com)
- Donald Trump and Sarah Palin: Dumb and Dumber (newsy1.wordpress.com)
- Donald Trump soars to top of GOP field (dailykos.com)
- Is Donald Trump Imagining Things? Daily News Publisher Says Trump Never Saved Paper (themoderatevoice.com)