Now that Facebook is mainstream, the gold old days of anything goes is history. Nowadays, the social networking site is so afraid of being sued that it yanked a student newspaper photo illustrating a cover story about how oral sex can spread throat cancer.
The photo depicts a couple simulating oral sex but does not contain any nudity or explicit sexual imagery. But Facebook put the University of North Florida student newspaper, The Spinnaker, under notice and forced the paper to remove the photo from its Facebook account. The paper always publishes its cover photos on its account but this one was deemed way too provocative by the site.
Even a site founded by college students has become too scared of those who seek to censor creativity.
- Facebook Pulls Spinnaker Photo Suggesting Oral (allfacebook.com)
- University Of North Florida’s Sexy Newspaper Cover Raises Eyebrows [NSFW] (huffingtonpost.com)
- Sexy Sex Scandal of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- UNF Oral Sex Photo Controversy (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Facebook: Spinnaker Photo A ‘Violation’ (huffingtonpost.com)