Gibbs don’t need no stinkin’ apology

By JENNIFER LOVEN
August 12, 2010

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs (AP)

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Wednesday he might have said things differently when he lashed out at liberals he called the “professional left” and suggested some of them should be drug tested.

But he told his daily White house briefing that he’s certainly not leaving his job over the remark, as at least one Democratic congressman has suggested.

And he stuck to his line that President Barack Obama has accomplished or made great strides on key goals and promises despite criticism from some liberals that he has not done enough.

Gibbs found himself in hot water with some liberals after his remarks in an interview with “The Hill” newspaper. The spokesman said that liberals who likened Obama to former President George W. Bush on many policies should be “drug tested.”

One Democratic congressman, Minnesota’s Keith Ellison, suggested Gibbs resign.

Asked if he regretted his choice of words, Gibbs said, “many times I could have said things slightly differently.”

But, he added with a chuckle, “There’s no truth to the rumor that I’ve added an inflatable exit to my office.”

It was a reference to JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater, who became angry at a passenger, cursed the passenger out over the plane’s loudspeaker on Monday and then slid down the inflatable emergency slide to the tarmac at New York’s Kennedy Airport.

Gibbs said he hasn’t talked to Obama directly about his choice of words, which he called “born out of frustration.”

He said that many of Obama’s campaign promises, led by the sweeping health care overhaul, have been brought to fruition, and suggested that “those are accomplishments that we all should be proud of, regardless of whether it encompasses 100 percent of what we had wanted in the beginning.”

In the interview in which he dubbed some liberals the “professional left,” Gibbs contended that some progressives critical of Obama wouldn’t be satisfied until the Pentagon was eliminated and Canadian-style health care ushered into the U.S. Some of them wouldn’t even be happy if anti-war congressman Dennis Kucinich were president, according to Gibbs.

Asked if he had put his foot in his mouth or had said something he meant, Gibbs said: “I think I have both my feet firmly planted on the floor and nothing in my mouth to speak of.” It was the first time he has commented on the controversy.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press

15 Responses to Gibbs don’t need no stinkin’ apology

1. griff

August 12, 2010 at 6:25 am

Yeah, I might have said things differently…but I didn’t. Is there no one this administration isn’t capable of pissing off?

2. Almandine

August 12, 2010 at 8:50 am

I’m actually quite happy with the very public airing of their collective incompetence.

3. Jim0001

August 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

JFK said: “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie-deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth-persistent,persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

Gibbs is a story teller and was probably a used Yugo salesman before he became B.Hussein Obama’s chief ego stroker and could be the court jester if Biden would step aside.

4. neondog

August 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

I think everyone in the United State, on second thought the World, should be pissed off at the raped and ruptured economy that was produced over the the last thirty years by our laissez faire, look the other way, non-governing lowest common denominator deregulating sons-a-bitches of a government.

5. Almandine

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 am

Laissez – faire ? Surely you jest. The Code of Federal Regulations consumes over 25 lineal feet of shelf space in the Library of Congress. Failure to enforce it may have caused many problems, but too much special – interest legislation and regulation has been an even bigger problem.

6. neondog

August 12, 2010 at 11:12 am

25 lineal feet of laws written by those oh-so special interests that allow the legalized rip-off of the our economy.

Jesting?? There is no humor when a government literally turns their back on the snake pit of corruption. You can have 100 lineal feet of rules on the books, but if nobodies are there to enforce those laws, they are basically toothless.
    In other words defacto-deregulation.

• Almandine

August 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm

The state of our economy and economic future genuinely sucks. But, it does little good to brush broadly at “govt”, which is so large and wide, with many of its workers not having anything in the least to do with regulation or the current economic morass. Let’s put the onus on those who do.

For those outside govt who would honor regulation as a matter of civil contract, laissez faire has no meaning with regard to our regulatory apparatus. They would generally operate ethically as a matter of course. There are plenty of those folks in this country… and more than enough regulation to go around.

For those who would skirt regulation, no amount of it makes much difference, unless or until they get caught. There are actually fewer of those folks in this country than one would imagine. Cheating on taxes is probably the biggest offense.

In this current climate of corruption, it’s Congressional statutes, coupled with Executive branch policies that minimized regulatory enforcement, that not only allowed but prodded Big Banks, Freddie, Fannie, AIG… you pick all you like… to make financial decisions that enshrined sleazy and otherwise unethical practices as the chosen way forward. Money and power is their game. THAT is where the problem lies.

It’s really has nothing to do with laissez faire, free markets, as it has been decades since that type of economic system has operated freely in this country. Just look at the 13,458 pages of the US tax code – that tells you all you need to know about regulation of economic activity in the US. Study it carefully and it will tell you who the Congress has decided will be the winners and losers in our regulated system.

7. Carl Nemo

August 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Speaking of drug testing, I think it’s a great idea and can start with the office of the President, his staff and appointees along with all the members of Congress and the Supreme Court.

They force this societal control crap on the unwashed masses so they can hopefully get some menial job, but not these sorry butt elitists that run this nation. I’d lay serious money that over 50 percent would be put in drug treatment program or given the ol’ seaboot launch over the stern post such testing. Gibbs & Co. are a bunch of evil hypocrites…period!

• Jim0001

August 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Mr. Nemo, I don’t think our elected officials in DC use drugs. They are so far from reality they don’t need them…

• Carl Nemo

August 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

One thing for sure Jim0001, they are all strung out on the ultimate drug; I.E., “POWER” over us! They say there’s nothing quite like it.

Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot and even our modern era presidents and Congress, now simply a politburo, empowered by asleep at the wheel citizens enjoys the heady feeling of such. It’s classed as the ultimate drug.

So by kicking it up a notch with illicit pharmacy or street drugs, surely gets them stoked, all to our detriment. They are all screaming yellow zonkers nuts; dangerous to the Republic and its once free citizenry…! : |

8. Doc_Holiday

August 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm

For an old friend that I know more than a few on CHB miss.

“MPH,
    If we give any thought to clear thinking such as this man has true hunger, why can’t he provide, and what will he become,
    if nay a mans worth is denied with fairness above board;

Where will speed of acquisition and reason level out in the market place of our gainful morality ?

I ask you, Is this our founders America, or a place found soon, bereft of their souls ?

I find myself with these men of great tribulation and resolve and wish,
    a great hunkering neath the tall branches of my Lady Liberty for all, and an opening of
    the vestibule where justice is for all men as man was meant to be a tree with branches swaying gracefully in the winds of freedom.

Alas, I waken from my stupor knowing everyday our tree is getting older, bloodier, more wind shaken.

The wind of our nations youth, precious, precocious, at times forced pernicious,
    leafs/leaves all the more lending, too my tears.

A bygone, begin the begin is warranted…Llamraf”

To all those true American heros that have fought and died for something more than the bottom line. -Doc

• Carl Nemo

August 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Hi Doc_Holiday,

I miss SEAL who frequented the site several years back. We lost him due to a long running battle; ie., his last firefight with cancer. Anyway he’s one guy I miss, along with his straightforward analysis concerning the order of the day. : )

• Doc_Holiday

August 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Carl Nemo,

I have heard of SEAL and I am sure he will be missed. I reffering to my old friend Bryan. Doug through him out with the proverbial garbage.

• Almandine

August 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Hey Doc –

Thanks for your loquacious return.

• Doc_Holiday

August 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Almandine,

However, those were not my words. My return would have been much less wordy had it not been for my good friend asking me to post a few of his words.

Doc