Racism and anti-gay bigotry reared their ugly heads Saturday as Tea Party participants protested the health care vote that is scheduled for a historic vote Sunday.
Protesters taunted openly-day Democratic Congressman Barney Frank with “faggot,” “homo” and other homophobic slurs and called African-American Georgia Congressman John Lewis a “nigger” as he left the Cannon House Office Building on Capitol Hill.
“They were shouting, sort of harassing,” Lewis told reporter William Douglas of McClatchy Newspapers. “But it’s OK. I’ve faced this before. It reminded me of the 60s. It was a lot of downright hate and anger and people being downright mean.”
Frank told The Boston Globe that he is “disappointed with the unwillingness to be civil. I was, I guess, surprised by the rancor. “People out there today, on the whole, were really hateful.”
The racism and bigotry in Saturday’s protest is not unusual for tea party gatherings where hate often surfaces.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Tea Party’s Health Care Opposition Turns Racist, Violent (mydd.com)
- Tea Party Activists Show Their Classy Side (themoderatevoice.com)
- Staying KKKlassy: Tea Baggers Call Congressmen “N****rs” and “F****ts” At HCR Protest. Hate Rules The Day (crooksandliars.com)
- Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) rips ‘teabagger protesters’ for calling gay congressman ‘faggot’, black congressman ‘nigger’, and spitting on another (americablog.com)
- Tea Party protesters reportedly spit on one lawmaker, call others ‘faggot’ and the n-word. (thinkprogress.org)
- Tea Party Racists (outsidethebeltway.com)