Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Report finds billions of waste in Iraq, Afghanistan

By
June 8, 2009

The Defense Department has failed to provide adequate oversight over tens of billions of dollars in contracts to support military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, says a new report by an independent commission investigating waste and fraud in wartime spending.

U.S. reliance on private sector employees has grown to "unprecedented proportions," yet the government has no central database of who all these contractors are, what they do or how much they’re paid, the bipartisan commission found.

In its first report to Congress, the Wartime Contracting Commission presents a bleak assessment of how taxpayer dollars have been spent since 2001. The 111-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, documents poor management, weak oversight, and a failure to learn from past mistakes as recurring themes in wartime contracting.

The commission’s report is scheduled to be made public Wednesday at a hearing held by the House Oversight and Government Reform’s national security subcommittee.

One example of wasted money cited by the commission involves construction of a $30 million dining facility at a U.S. base in Iraq scheduled to be completed Dec. 25. The decision to build it was based on bad planning and botched paperwork. Yet the project is too far along to stop, making the mess hall a future monument to the waste and inefficiency plaguing the war effort.

The commission, established by Congress last year, says more than 240,000 private sector employees are supporting military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thousands more work for the State Department and U.S. Agency for International Development.

In Iraq, the panel worries that as U.S. troops depart in larger numbers, too few government eyes will be on the contractors left to oversee the closing of hundreds of bases and disposal of mountains of federal property.

At Rustamiyah, a seven-acre forward operating base turned over to the Iraqis in March, the military population plunged from 1,490 to 62 in just three months. During the same period, the contractor population dropped from 928 to 338, leaving more than five contractors for every service member.

In Afghanistan, where President Barack Obama has ordered a large increase of U.S. troops, existing bases will have to expand and new ones will be built — without proper oversight unless the Pentagon rapidly changes course.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates wants to reduce the military’s reliance on contractors and hire more government employees and acquisition staff. These steps will begin a badly needed overhaul of the military’s approach to contract management, the commission says.

One commander in Afghanistan told the commission he had no idea how many contractors were on and off his base on a daily basis. Another officer said he had property all over his installation but didn’t know who owned it or what kind of shape it was in.

There are questionable construction projects in Afghanistan, too. The commission visited the New Kabul Compound, a building intended to serve as headquarters for U.S. forces in Afghanistan. But members saw cracks in the structure, broken and leaking pipes, sinking sidewalks and other defects.

"The Army should not have accepted a building in such condition," the report says.

The commission cites concerns with a massive support contract known as "LOGCAP" that provides troops with essential services, including housing, meals, mail delivery and laundry.

Despite the huge size and importance of the contract, the main program office managing the work for both Afghanistan and Iraq has only 13 government employees. For administrative help, it relies on a contractor.

KBR Inc., the primary LOGCAP contractor in Iraq, has been paid nearly $32 billion since 2001. The commission says billions of dollars of that amount ended up wasted due to poorly defined work orders, inadequate oversight and contractor inefficiencies.

In one example, defense auditors challenged KBR after it billed the government for $100 million in costs for private security even though the contract prohibited the use of for-hire guards.

KBR has defended its performance and criticized the commission for making "biased" statements against the company.

"As we look back on what we’ve done, we’re real proud of being able to go into a war theater like that as a private contractor and support 200,000 troops," William P. Utt, chairman of the Houston-based KBR, said in May in an interview with AP reporters and editors.

KBR is also linked to the dining hall construction snafu, although the commission faults the military’s planning and not the contractor. With American forces scheduled to leave Iraq by the end of 2011, the U.S. will use the new facility for two years at most.

In July 2008, the Army said a new dining facility was badly needed at the Camp Delta forward operating base because the existing one was too small, had a saggy ceiling, poor lighting and an unsanitary wooden floor.

KBR was awarded a contract in September. Work began in late October as American and Iraqi officials negotiated the agreement setting the dates for the U.S. troop withdrawal.

But during an April visit to Camp Delta, the commission learned that the existing mess hall had just been renovated. The $3.36 million job was done by KBR and completed in June 2008. Commission staff toured the renovated hall "without seeing or hearing of any problems or shortfalls," the report says.

The decision to push ahead with the new hall was based on paperwork that was never updated and a failure to review the need for the project after the security agreement was signed. Most of the materials have been ordered and construction is well under way. That means canceling the project would save little money because KBR would have a legitimate claim for payment based on the investment it has already made.

___

On the Net:

Wartime Contracting Commission: http://www.wartimecontracting.gov/

9 Responses to Report finds billions of waste in Iraq, Afghanistan

  1. JudyB

    June 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm

    No Surprise folks…the surprise would be if we were to find out there were any valid oversights in place while Bush/Cheney were at the helm.

  2. Michela

    June 8, 2009 at 3:29 pm

    So, why are we still using the same contractors???

  3. malia1950

    June 8, 2009 at 4:57 pm

    malia1950

    I did simple contract work for the government about 15 years ago. The process is tedious and quite lengthy -but that is what also makes it fair.
    It takes anywhere from a few days (In purchasing a single item from private vendor) to months and maybe a year for large $$$ amounts (posting bidding, review, challenges, re-review, awarding/ announcing and implementation- that was what I remember, and it may have changed).

    Even on the best of days our new president’s staff could not have new multi-million dollar contracts in place within 5 months.
    I think what the report is really looking at from 2001 to present; are mostly those contracts set in place during the last administration-for whom the contracting process was partially or totally waived, and the contracts were awarded without competitive bidding.

    I am glad there is a commission in place to investigate-even as late as this.

  4. AustinRanter

    June 8, 2009 at 6:40 pm

    I hope nobody expects there to be a truthful, open report that identifies any aspect of these incredible losses.

    Furthermore…it’s highly likely that there’ll never be anybody, anywhere on the planet will held legally responsible and accountable.

    Even if there were some surprise microscopic line item nitty-gritty, get down and tell it like it is type of information exposed…who could we count on to carry out any efforts to see justice carried out for those who have so cleverly swindled America?

    Everybody yawn…go back to sleep, we’ll never see any real accounting for this mess.

  5. woody188

    June 8, 2009 at 8:31 pm

    Shouldn’t the headline be “Trillions of dollars and millions of lives lost in war that should never have happened.”

  6. AustinRanter

    June 8, 2009 at 8:35 pm

    Woody…nobody gives a rats ass. They would if one day the got a letter from their bank saying the last 5 withdrawal transactions were insufficient because the U.S. Government withdrew their checking account.

    Nobody cares…sad, but true.

    Until it hits the individual’s pocketbook…where they really, really, really feel it and realized they’ve been ripped off…”nobody really cares”.

  7. woody188

    June 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm

    That day is coming sooner than many realize. The Chinese are already balking at taking on more of our debt. We have some $450 billion out there right now nobody wants to buy and Obama is promising more record debt for at least the rest of his first term. How long can the Fed monetize the debt (print more money) and keep inflation down?

    Now that the full faith and credit of the United States has been tarnished, it won’t be long before our paper money follows our reputation into the toilet.

  8. barak

    June 9, 2009 at 5:48 am

    Well, the 4 who commented before this and I all care. We’re concerned. We’re angry. That’s a start. Just think what would happen if we 5 emailed this column to everyone in our mailing list and asked them to forward it to everyone in THEIR mailing list. We should hit a billion people within a week, if not more sooner.

    I’m going to do just that, and will also send it to my Senators and Representatives as well, asking for an accounting. If 50 % of my email list will do the same, this message should reach everyone in America in a few weeks, much faster if you four will do the same. I know people in more than 15 states at quick count…that’s more than 25% of our country.

    Let’s nail the bastards that stole our money and remember: “The buck stops at the top!”

    Public pressure is the only solution short of armed insurrection that I can think of, and I gave away all my guns when I moved abroad. Pressure is easy with email. Drown them in messages and get our money’s worth!!!

  9. malia1950

    June 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

    malia1950

    This is the type of contracting I mean-started in 2003,

    http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/06/09/news/state/21-stimproject.txt

    It is definitely not fair to local qualified firms-because they just don’t have the $$$ resources to be multi-functional and open ended.

    Our thanks to Geo. W & Dick for helping to continue to line the pockets of big business – this will take a vote in congress to reverse, I guess-and how many of those folks even now, want to give up their investment benefits?

    If contractor abuse is investigated-congress (past and present) should be investigated as well-to see if there are any ‘conflict of interest or ethics violations in the contractor fraud reports.

    I would think our current Prez would be pushing congress to reverse this contracting scheme -at least for contracts at ‘home’ and take us back to some semblance of normal ‘fair’ contracting for the health and stimulus of our economy.