Screw ‘em: We know when we’re right

In December 2005, a long-time friend who worked in the Bush White House tipped me on a meeting the President had with some top GOP leaders. During that meeting, a worried Republican aide told Bush that the USA Patriot Act represented a threat to the Constitution.

Bush, whose temper is always close to the surface, exploded:

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

After confirming the story with two other White House sources, I published it on December 10, 2005.

Since that time, the story has become a rallying cry for critics of Capitol Hill Blue, saying I made it all up or that it came from a source that has since been discredited.

Both claims are wrong. After nearly four years of listening to the rabid right-wing try to discredit the story, I see no reason to doubt the sources who gave me the information. I believe Bush called the Constitution a “goddamned piece of paper” and I believe his record of abuses of American liberties and disregard for the Constitution proves that his angry outburst is exactly how he felt about the document that used to define our way of life.

Recent disclosures about the authorization of torture only add to my belief that the President used the Constitution as toilet paper to wipe his ass and not as something to uphold as he swore when he took the Oath of Office.

And I don’t much give a goddamn what some blogger or washed up ex-journalist who runs a pseudo-fact checking web site says. I know I’m right. Our readers know we’re right and those who seek to cast doubts on our honesty and integrity can go screw themselves.

A journalist cannot do his or her job as a watchdog on government by playing it safe. Sometimes, we have to go on instinct. In 2003, we wrote that Bush ignored warnings that intelligence placing weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was fabricated.  People called us “unpatriotic” and, again, claimed we make the whole thing up. It took a few years, but our story turned out to be correct.

In 2004, we reported that Bush was acting erratically and terrorizing staff with temper tantrums and obscenity-laced tirades. Again came the claims that we manufactured the story.

Then, in 2005, Newsweek’s Evan Thomas wrote:

Bush can be petulant about dissent; he equates disagreement with disloyalty. After five years in office, he is surrounded largely by people who agree with him…Late last week, Bush was, by some accounts, down and angry. But another Bush aide described the atmosphere inside the White House as “strangely surreal and almost detached.” At one meeting described by this insider, officials were oddly self-congratulatory, perhaps in an effort to buck each other up. Life inside a bunker can be strange, especially in defeat.

In Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War, by Newsweek report Michael Isikoff and The Nation’s David Corn, the two vetreran journalists reported:

President Bush was driven by a visceral hatred of Saddam Hussein, which he privately demonstrated in expletive-laden tirades against the Iraqi dictator. In May 2002–months before he asked Congress for authority to attack Saddam-Bush bluntly revealed his ultimate game plan in a candid moment with two aides. When told that reporter Helen Thomas was questioning the need to oust Saddam by force, Bush snapped: “Did you tell her I intend to kick his sorry mother fucking ass all over the Mideast?” In a meeting with congressional leaders, the President angrily thrust his middle finger inches in front of the face of Senator Tom Daschle to illustrate Saddam’s attitude toward the United States.

Capitol Hill Blue has made mistakes and will not doubt make others in the future. In 14-and-a-half years of publishing this web site, we have been hoodwinked by two sources who were not who they claimed to be. Some bloggers, consumed with their own self-importance, claimed they “outed us” but we reported it before anyone else did. That little fact got lost in the feeding frenzy that followed.

I apologized to our readers in 2006 for my lapse in judgment in not fully vetting a source. It’s happened twice in 14 and-a-half years. It hasn’t happened again and it won’t.

But I will not apologize for how we exposing the criminal underbelly of Congress in our series: Congress: America’s Criminal Class.  I will not apologize for reporting that George W. Bush called the Constitution a “goddamned piece of paper.”  I will not apologize for exposing his temper trantrums or use of phony intelligence to send thousands of American soldiers to a needless death in Iraq.

Those who don’t like what we do can go elsewhere. Those who claim we manufacture stories can go to hell. And those who claim to hold themselves to a self-perceived, and fake, higher standard while hiding the fact that they make far more mistakes than we can go screw themselves.

18 Responses to "Screw ‘em: We know when we’re right"

1. Janice  April 27, 2009 at 12:08 pm

There is no need to keep defending this site or the stories published here. You are comfortable with your sources, and when they prove wrong you are the first to report the errors. That is journalism. In todays environment, you can’t expose the names of sources if they want to be off the record, or you will eliminate your access to information. There are jobs and reputations to protect, and sometimes even lives. There is nothing wrong with that. As a reporter, it is your responsiblity to do the homework, verify the source, and then report the truth. This is what you do, so get over having to defend your integrity. If you need to fight back, do your own expose on the site in question, otherwise, set it aside and walk away.

2. woody188  April 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Honesty is why I read CHB and a few other blogs. If I wanted to be lied to I’d read http://www.whitehouse.gov.

3. adamrussell  April 27, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Perhaps some may be forgiven if they doubt your anonymous sources.

4. Hal Brown  April 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I never doubted the gist of the quote but I’d bet dollars to donuts that what he really said included the F-word (eff) at least once, but probably two or three times. I think "goddamned" is too mild an expletive for him.

The sources who told Doug about it may have given him the PG version. Doesn’t this sound more like Bush:

"Shut the eff up, eff the Constitution," Bush screamed back. "It’s just an effing piece of paper!"

Regardless, good for you Doug in standing by the story. Hopefully when the final history is written either your version or mine or something in between will be confirmed publicly by those who were there.

5. lorenbliss  April 27, 2009 at 6:23 pm

It is good to see a few of us yet cling to the now-radical ethics that attracted me to newspaper journalism more than half a century ago.

In those days print journalism was still largely a blue-collar field in that editorial people typically came from families where the costs of living were paid by honest labor.

My own late father for example held a variety of jobs but at the time of his death he managed an Esso station and was something of a local legend for his mechanical skill: not the sort of background that gives you the money to get into college or dodge the draft.

In fact (and also typically), I enlisted — something for which many of the sneeringly bourgeois draft-exempt elitists who populate today’s (alleged) U.S. Left will never forgive me. And even with the (insultingly miserly) Vietnam Era G.I. Bill it took me 18 years to earn a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, mostly history, sociology and photography as simultaneously art and sociohistorical documentation.

Not that my BA mattered: as a semi-literate white female personnel-office oberführer would soon tell me, “obviously” I hadn’t been “serious about doing college-level work.” Otherwise — “with all the white-male advantages,” — it wouldn’t have taken me so long.

Such are the sorts of gatekeepers the news monopolies hire to make sure today’s so-called “journalists” possess three vital qualifications: submissiveness, conformity and (above all else) acceptance of the core principle of capitalism: that infinite greed is maximum virtue.

Hence the reality of the modern newspaper and the real reason it is dying: from management’s perspective, we editorial people exist only as to fill the spaces between the advertisements. That’s why in every newsroom in the U.S., quality has been replaced by quantity — with reporters chained to word-quotas, photographers imprisoned in image-counts and editors reduced to production monitors.

But once upon a time journalism was very different. As I told my wife-to-be in 1967, it was “the one place in America somebody without wealth or ruling-class connections can sometimes actually make life better for everyone.” It’s operational values were the same values expressed by our parents’ union cards: “to comfort the afflicted — and afflict the comfortable.”

I do not know Doug Thompson personally (though I am friends with someone who knew him in high school), but I nevertheless recognize him as a true colleague. He is what today I would label “a real journalist” — “real” as differentiated from the legion of steno-drones who passed enough tests of unquestioning obedience and reflexive anti-intellectuality (the workplace equivalent of fraternity rush) to be granted a keyboard in a newsroom.

Thus I not only applaud Doug’s growled “screw ‘em,” I add to it the exclamation with which one of my former bosses always greeted a telling exposé of Big Business criminality or political corruption, never mind that both terms are now self-contained redundancies.

That boss was an archetypical northeastern big-city managing editor — cigar, green eyeshade and all — and when you brought him a story idea that would reveal the infinite hypocrisy of the powers that be (which was the kind of story he liked best of all), he’d roll the cigar from one corner of his mouth to the other, look you straight in the eye and say, “good; do it — and make sure you stick it up their pooper.”

6. Helen Rainier  April 27, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I have always enjoyed coming to CHB. I may not always agree with the points of view, but that is a part of learning and expanding our horizons. Don’t worry about salty language. I use it myself because some times using diplomatic or polite words don’t convey the intensity of what you’re trying to express. Keep up the good work, Doug and every else at CHB!

7. bryan mcclellan  April 27, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Ain’t no critiquing that! OOPS.

8. barak  April 28, 2009 at 7:55 am

Apology accepted though unnecessary. This is one of the best things you have written in a long time. Thank you for that.

I think Bush’s intent to invade somewhere was revealed in a video in the ‘ONION’ while he was campaigning or had just won the election. I cannot remember his exact words, but they went something like this–“How much does this job (the Presidency) pay? Is that all? I made $?$? million last year. I’ll just have to find some way to make a lot of money. My daddy made a bundle from Desert Storm, maybe I’ll start a war somewhere. I can make lots of money in a war”.

When I saw and read this story I was so ashamed of this terrible man who would be president. I opposed his election and feel that his words that day were ignored by the general news media. I never understood why and I still don’t…

9. Paolo  April 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

Expressed with salty language, but what the heck? Everything fits, especially the Bush tirade about the Constitution being a “goddamned piece of paper.” His actions certainly underscore that this is exactly how he regarded it.

10. CheckerboardStrangler  April 27, 2009 at 3:29 pm

The salty language wasn’t gratuitous, it was prescribed, and wholly appropriate. Helen Thomas would be pleased, and I wager so are most of the American people.

Good shot, Doug.

11. griff  April 27, 2009 at 9:25 am

I don’t even know why anyone bothers discussing the Constitution anymore. Virtually noone knows what it stands for or what it means; it’s been ignored for a very long time. And our elected leaders, those that swore an oath to defend it, have no business invoking it at any time.

It’s become a joke.

They really ought to officially announce that it’s been repealed and will be replaced with the Communist Manifesto. Obama could just fire off an executive order and make it official. That way we can all just stop pretending.

Bush was only saying what most people already know.

12. Route101  April 27, 2009 at 9:31 am

Thank you Doug for reminding us that the Constitution comes first. The President and all elected officials take an oath to support and defend the Constitution. It drove me nuts every time George Bush said his primary job was to defend the American people. He, Dick Cheney, and others ignored the oath they swore to. Too many people worked, fought, lived and died to establish the US Constitution; it took 2 years from 1787-1789 to develop it for ratification. The late Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black often said that the Constitution says what it says; if you want to change it then amend it. Sometimes I wonder whether people should have to pass a basic civics or US history test before they can vote, just as immigrants who become US citizens have to.

13. Stratocaster  April 27, 2009 at 9:36 am

The way I understand it, the people that govern us were apointed by God, and us little people should not question their devine right to do whatever they want whenever they want. Laws do not pertain to them. Laws are only made to keep us little people from getting out of line. So please keep your criticism aimed at the little people, and do not question our royalty’s devine right to govern us.

14. sherry  April 27, 2009 at 10:19 am

Sometimes when piecing together a story, one goes with gut. It fits a pattern of behavior. Bush’s psyche has been discussed all over the net as well as in print.
    The fact remains we will be paying for his economic and foreign disasters for years to come.
    Whether he SAID g-d constitution or not, doesn’t matter, his actions displayed that on a daily basis he did NOT care about the constitution, that he lied to Americans about the need for Iraq and the democrats, Rockefeller, Pelosi, et al were complicit.
    The separation of powers was compromised. It doesn’t appear to be changing. Just as the previous administration did, the opposing party offering objection is just not on board. They are unworthy of a hearing, they are to be ingnored.
    I am troubled that Obama is apparently ok with warrantless wiretaps, that nothing about the
    Patiot Act is being discussed, though in his campaign promise, he promised to fix it.
    You tell em Doug

15. Ladywolf55  April 27, 2009 at 11:10 am

There’s an excellent article entitled “Tugging on the Torture Thread” here:

I highly recommend everyone read this article. Doug, you are correct in what you reported, I have NO doubt. But it goes so, so very beyond that.

16. douin  April 27, 2009 at 11:16 am

Can’t really blame our ‘freely elected government officials’, as most of them have never even read the Constitution, much less have any idea what ‘taking an Oath’ means. Education needs to re-think itself and start over at the kindergarten stage..and even then, parents should be required to take a Refresher course on the Constitution and how our Republic is Supposed to be run before having children.
    Every Immigrant is required to thoroughly study the Constitution in order to pass a Test to become eligible to become Citizens of this country. They must study to show themselves knowledgeable about every facet of how this Republic operates. They now know more about Our country and it’s laws than we do. Seems to me it is becoming a case of ‘do as I say do, and not as I do.’
    Bush is a perfect example of what happens when we foolishly allow such an egotistic and ignorant man to steal a seat in the highest Office in the Land. Who is really to blame ? We are ! We should have taken to the Streets and never allowed him to set foot in that Office. But No..we are too Civilized to raise our voices when it is about Our Government. We have been Conditioned very well like all good sheep are trained to be. After all, our ‘betters’ know best ! UGGGHHH
    Go Doug !! Thank you for telling it like it really is. Salty language and all. It gets the point across the bow.

17. bjiller  April 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Keep up the good work. If only the major networks had the willingness to publish what Capital Hill Blue publishes. If only the major networks were wrong just twice in 14 years. I just wish you got credit for breaking these stories. My favorite was the one on the NSA illegally eavesdropping on all of our phone calls, years before the NYT “broke” the same story.

18. Stratocaster  April 27, 2009 at 12:05 pm

If God did not want them to govern, he would not have allowed them to be elected. I don’t know why you people can’t understand that. It is God’s way of punishung us for the sins of our parents. The generation tha came before us, screwed up the entire world. Everyone knows that. You just couldn’t trust the people that were over thirty when we were twenty. We all knew about the man, the pigs, the establishment but the older generation bought into it hook, line and sinker. Power to the people. Long live rock and roll.